Friday, January 30, 2015

The Trouble with Intentionality

Life has become hectic and helter-skelter:
                         
       Schedules tipped on their heads.  
                           Sickness has invaded.
                                         Snowstorms have rudely interrupted. 

I sigh, "So much for being intentional!",  then quickly correct myself.
I choose to be intentional, not necessarily productive.   
I have little control over snowstorms and sickness .   But I do have control over how I handle myself and minister to my family in each circumstance.  Which is precisely why I choose "intentional."

Because the floor may still be dirty, but my conscience can be clean.   

My to-do list may be undone, but my child's heart needs met.  

My cooking may not be gourmet, but my family's soul can be "made fat" with the Bread of Life.



So instead of ticking off a mental list of what has been accomplished by the end of the day, I ask myself:

1.  Have I been kind and deliberate in my responses to daughter today?
2.  Have I invested in her life for eternity today?
3.  Have I communicated love and respect for my husband today?
4.  Have I used the time I had to myself wisely, for Kingdom purposes, and not selfishly or lazily?

The trouble with intentionality is that these questions are not as easily answered as a simple to-do list. They require more heart-searching and soul-deep honesty than is comfortable. Sometimes I'd rather look at the check-list than at the heart-list.

But at the end of my life, my Lord won't ask me how clean my house was or how creative my meals were or how artistic my child's handicraft was.   I'm convinced that leading a life of intention is the secret to hearing the longed-for words that every Christian desires one day to hear: "Well done, good and faithful servant." 

Ironically, living with intention usually means doing the mundane, daily tasks.  However, being intentional gives meaning to the task.  

It makes worship of our work. 

It brings inspiration to our interactions.

Being intentional means I need Grace -- so much Grace.  I need supernatural Grace because I am not intentional.  I would rather be lazy and take the easy way out.  

The trouble with being intentional is that it's impossible to do without God.  And therein lies the Glory of intentionality.  It requires complete reliance on God's Grace and enabling power.  So today, tomorrow, and this year, I go in Grace, endeavoring to do the impossible, for His Glory.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO BLESSED BY THESE REFLECTIONS!
It's so true that I usually see my goals as those in which I can comfortably manage and succeed---without His help (whether or not I realize that's what I'm doing). But God raises the bar by bringing LIFE to our doorstep and causing us to see that the prize we run for is something we simply cannot achieve without His enabling grace! When I am weak, then am I strong---for humble dependence invokes His grace that I so desperately need! How encouraging is His promise (that happens to come on the heels of knowing the full measure of His love and life) that He's well able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask (Eph.3)!
Thanks for the reminder to ask and to live intentionally!

Julie Lewis said...

Amen! Praise God!

Unknown said...

So well-stated, Julie. It's an encouragement to my heart to know you are praying through and living out the same Truth!