Thursday, July 23, 2015

Top 5 Favorites from my 5-year-old

My little girl turned 5 this year!  In honor of her birthday, I'm posting my top 5 favorites about my girl at this age.


1. Imagination Galore.  All she has to do is slip into her princess dress-up dress, and she's transformed.  She adopts this demure demeanor (NOT normal at all), and calmly walks up to me with downcast eyes and hands demurely clasped in front of her skirt.  "Excuse me, but why does a beautiful maiden have to work as a servant? "she queries in melodramatic, affected martyr-like tones.

2. Avid Conversation and Storytelling Abilities.   Once she gets started, you can't get her to stop!  But the discussion is so worth it.  She remembers every detail of Bible stories and retells them with a dramatic flair, acting out parts as she goes along.  She always has something to say (which is sometimes overwhelming to this Mama who needs her peace and quiet!), but when I take time to really listen, what a window into her fertile mind I get!

3. Creative Morning Wake-up Calls.  I never know what I'm gonna wake up to.  One morning it's her mouth pressed to the doorknob, singing "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?".   Another morning it's a made-up good-morning song.  I've seen homemade "letters" appear under my bedroom door.  Most recently, I was laying bed suddenly I hear the canned cheer of a crowd coming from the door. I started laughing despite myself when I realized the sound effect came from one of her birthday cards that she must be holding up to the door.

4.  Expressive, Independent Reading.  Even though she has been reading well for over a year, I still love eavesdropping on her reading aloud alone in her room.  Book after book, she reads with such expression and interest.  I joy in this shared passion, especially as we take almost daily trips to our local library in the summer (within walking distance, thankfully!).  She eagerly anticipates the newest book being checked out, reading the title aloud and even upside down as the librarian checks it out, jumping up and down with excitement and attempting to begin reading the book even as we walk home.  I so KNOW and share the same feeling and just revel in seeing it played out through her even at this age.

5.  Sweet, Uninhibited Affection.  Occasionally without warning, she will kiss my cheek or sidle up next to me with her hand on my arm. These actions always take me by surprise as I am not naturally spontaneously affectionate.  I am so thankful that she is, though, because it reminds me to stop what I'm doing and reciprocate that affection.  I also know there's a day coming when such impulses may be squelched, when reserve or resentment may replace such childlike expressions of love.  And I want to soak them all in today.  I want to gather them up and keep them like pressed flowers in the pages of my heart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVVVVVVE THIS! I love this window of your joy and reflect back on my own fragrant memory blossoms, pressed so indelibly on the pages of this mama's heart, as well! Keep sharing please!