Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Conversation with Self

Journal Prompt from Sometimes Sweet:  "They say hindsight is 20/20, and with good reason- looking back at something always gives us a better view. We're often able to really see how our choices and decisions then shaped our today, and examine what we would have done differently given the chance. When looking back though, we often look way back, but for this exercise stay a little closer to present time and look back just 12 months. If you could go back just one year, what would you tell yourself? What advice would you offer about everything you've experienced?

What would my January 2013 self say to my January 2014 self?  "Self," I'd say, "Self, you must hold on for the long haul.  You must not give in or give up.  You must believe that God works behind the scenes even when you don't see anything happening.  The seeds that you are sowing today will bear fruit tomorrow.  Have patience and allow God time to do His thing."  

My January '13 self saw last year going a little differently.  My January '13 self failed to recognize the value of what she was doing at that moment, and my January '13 self saw only a certain solution to her prayers and worries.

So my January '14 self would remind my January '13 self:  "Self, you have no idea what God has in store for you.  You cannot imagine the depth of His wisdom and the direction of His plans.  So serve Him today and let Him take care of tomorrow's results.  Pray fervently today, trusting His plans to be the best solutions to your cares and worries."

I'm really not that far removed from my January '13 self.  I still want to run ahead and figure out how to solve my problems and the problems of those I love.  I still find it hard to pray with an open hand and a trusting heart.  But perhaps this little exercise has been useful in causing me to pause and learn from the ways God has worked in the past year.  May the next 12 months find me becoming one whose trust in God runs a little deeper and whose faith in her God stands a little stronger.
What would you tell your January '13 self?

No comments: