Friday, March 25, 2011

A Sinner? My Child?

I am in dismayed shock. As she arches her back, face screwed into an angry scowl, I contemplate her behavior, looking for a rationalization to sweep away what I'm seeing. But the determined look on her face, the deliberate kicks and the stiff body all point to one thing --- a child bent on her own way. Yes, it's true, I sadly realize, my child is a sinner, too. There's no escaping the reality, no more putting off the truth. I have a job ahead of me, the quality of which will make or break the person she will become. Discipline is not something that comes easily to my nature, so the task at hand seems daunting. Yet I am convinced of the dire necessity of engaging in the battle -- the battle for my child's heart and soul. Convinced, yes. I know what needs to be done. But strong enough to do it? Now there's another matter.

"Lord, give me the strength to do what I know I ought to do, to not sacrifice my child's well-being for my own comfort. I would rather not discipline, but You have charged me with this great responsibility. My child's life depends on it. Help me in my weakness to grab hold of Your enabling grace and find the courage to do my duty before You."

2 comments:

A Cooking Bookworm said...

Hardest thing EVER. But, I am thankful I can cling to God's promise that if we train them in the way they should go they will NOT depart from it. Sure, I am going to make plenty of mistakes, but God definitely honors our heart. Raising a child God's way is not easy...but definitely the best way.

It also makes me look so much harder at myself. How can I expect my child to be obedient and respectful, if I'm not behaving that same way towards my Heavenly Father? How can He honor me and my intentions if I am not following Him completely?

Good post. :-)

Rich & Nancy said...

We are experiencing the same rebellious behaviors with our 16 month old foster daughter. And the behavior of the children in our care, does make us take a detailed look at our own behavior. After raising 4 sons, and seeing them now all walking with God in their own families, I can say with confidence that the Scriptures are the key to a life of contentment, purpose, and joy, even when suffering. Psalm 16:11, "You will show me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; at your right hand there are pleasures for evermore." Seeing our adult sons and their families living for Jesus is the greatest joy a parent can know on this earth. And knowing that they will be with us and with our precious Savior, Jesus Christ in heaven throughout eternity, is a blessing beyond comprehension. So, the day to day trials of disciplining our children, will reap eternal benefits and glory for our God.