Friday, March 29, 2013

When Jesus Wept: book review

Fitting for this Easter weekend, I've just finished reading When Jesus Wept by Brock & Bodie Thoene, provided to me as a complimentary copy by Booksneeze.   I've always enjoyed the Thoene duo, especially since reading their early WWII books.  I haven't read anything by this pair in awhile, and the title caught my attention.  The story of Jesus' earthly ministry is told by Lazarus in this fictional account.  The Thoenes effectively weave in analogies of the the vine and the branches to the Christian life, casting Lazarus as a successful vineyard grower.

To be granted such an intimate, up close look at Jesus through the eyes of one of his closest earthly friends was very moving.  Love for Jesus leaped off the page as I experienced Him through Lazarus's character.  I so greatly admire the passionate skill of the Thoenes for portraying Jesus with the warmth and reverence they did.  While the book at times felt less like a novel and more like a retelling of Jesus' teachings, the sweet closeness the reader gets to experience with our Lord makes the book well worth the read.

No comments: