Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Food Frugalities, Pt. 2

Last night's meal:

Baked chicken legs and thighs -- Perdue has hormone free, healthier  chicken, so I feel pretty good about this recent switch.  10 lbs. lasts us almost two weeks and costs about $11 or $12.  I simply season them with a garlic herb mixture, and Conroy adds his famous Jamaican Jerk sauce concoction.

Stir fry cauliflower and broccoli --  I heat these frozen veggies in a skillet, drizzled with coconut oil and seasoned with whatever I have on hand  - Mrs. Dash, Oregano, Seasoned Salt, Garlic/Onion Powder, etc.

Instant Brown Rice -- a staple for my husband, as well as the one item that Jacie will always eat if she eats nothing else.

Commentary:  Perhaps even cheaper than the tuna patties, this meal rings in somewhere between $3 and $4 total, figuring the chicken at $1 per meal and bags of frozen veggies which can usually be found for $1 each.  The instant rice is $1.50 a box, as mentioned in my last post, and we use only about half a box or less per meal.

No comments: