Friday, May 23, 2014

Five Minute Friday: CLOSE

Close.  What qualifies as close?

Sharing intimate secrets with a sweet soul friend is close.  

Cuddling beneath a warm blanket, watching a movie with my husband is close.
                   
Feeling my three-year-old smashed up against me bumping my elbow as I work is close!

But in each of those moments, closeness is fleeting,  The next time we talk, my friend may fail to acknowledge my needs like she did in the previous conversation.  My husband may pause the movie to take a phone call and walk away, leaving me feeling bereft and neglected.  My three-year-old may be close in proximity, but is yet too young to minister to the needs of my heart.  Her closeness is all demand.

So to whom do I run when I desire more closeness than finite humans can possibly give?  I run to Jesus ~my soul's deepest Desire, my Friend.  And I remember:

"There is a friend Who sticks closer than a brother...."

7 comments:

GranthamLynn said...

Beautifully written and so true. I need closeness. I need to run to Jesus.
Thanks for sharing this.

Unknown said...

Beautifully written. Thanks for reinforcing the fact that I need to run to the Lord. He never, ever lets me down!

Found you on 5 Minute Friday.
Come visit me!

Patty
http://seasonedwithlife.com/5-minute-friday-close/

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, such truth! Jesus is our close and it is to Him we turn for all! Thank you for your words of encouragement. Blessings, Mary

Unknown said...

Blessings from FMF!!! Thanks for sharing this sweet truth!!

Julie Lewis said...

Thank you all for your kind comments!

Unknown said...

Oh, the fleeting moments. But the sustained closeness of God is so, so good. He is a better filler of the ache to be close, but I long for the fleeting sometimes. These are good words to remember both in the ache and in the times when we enjoy the closeness of ones dear to us. (It is a gift from God.)
I'm visiting from FMF.

Julie Lewis said...

Thanks, Cheryl, for your encouragement! Very nicely put...