Wednesday, August 27, 2014

The REAL Reason I send Jacie to School....

My big four-year-old headed off to school today (yes, I know I wrote yesterday about homeschooling, but for now we're enjoying the best of both worlds!).  



She awoke early, chipper and cheerily anticipating school today.  She knocked on our bedroom door and called, "Is it time for school yet?" way too early....  When we groggily responded, "No, not yet.  Go play until we tell you."  She obediently scampered off (oh, how I've longed for this day -- when she's finally old enough to "go play" and let me catch a few more winks!).

After feeding her, dressing her, loading her backpack, I watched her run out the door with her dad and jump into the car.   As I closed the door behind them and walked back into the house, I thought, "Now THIS is why I like school!"

Why do I REALLY send my daughter to school two days a week?

1.) For the blissful peace and quiet of a house to myself for a few hours.  Ahhh!

2.) For the breakfast or lunch date hubby and I get to indulge in without finding a babysitter.

Those are MY reasons.

Jacie loves school.  I'm glad for the opportunity for her to interact with her peers on a limited basis, especially since she has no playmates at home.  I'm thankful for the Christian teachers who are faithful, committed, whom I know personally, and have complete trust in their character.  I know that she's in a safe environment.

This is how Jacie benefits.

But I cannot get past the heartfelt, soul-deep conviction I have that it is MY job to train, teach, and raise my child.  That is why I say two days a week and no more.  Because I want to be the chief influence in my daughter's life  -- the chief teacher, the chief, shaper and molder.  At least for now during these young, tender years.

Do I love my peace and quiet?  Do I love my freedom?  YES!  But even that love makes me leery of my own motives.  My freedom is not worth abdicating my responsibility.  I have been given a commission from the moment my daughter was entrusted to me by God, and I fully intend to be the one, alongside my husband, to carry out that God-given responsibility.

One day, I won't have the "best of both worlds" option.  One day the fork in the road will come, and I must be all in one way or another.  On that day, as on this day, I will choose the path to which God has called me.  The course for which I and my husband alone must answer when God asks us, "What did YOU do to raise your child in the nurture and admonition of the LORD?"

No comments: